Monday, February 9, 2009

Beautiful skies

February 9 - it's a full moon! I don't know why I have this obsession with the moon, but every time I've seen a big, yellow full moon, I've wanted to capture that image. It's just so beautiful, and serene and magical. Especially when you are near the ocean, or even a river or lake, and you see the reflection in the ripples of the water. It just clears your mind and puts a sort of peaceful spell over you. I love it.

I could tell from last night's moon that tonight it would be full. I planned on getting a shot of it ASAP. If I remember correctly, I started shooting moon pics last night before 6:30 since it was up and visible, and the sky was light. So tonight I headed to the beach around 6 or so to catch it just as it was coming up over the horizon. Only...what? No moon! I was afraid that the clouds gathering to the north were also spread over the east. Bummer. I waited a while and still, no moon. However, I saw the most beautiful colors in the sky to the west. Amazing. Words can't describe. I was sad that all the 'civilization' was unavoidable in the shot, marring the perfection of nature. But c'est la vie. This is our life.












I kept going out to check in case the moon was suddenly visible, but no luck. Then Grammy and Grandaddy brought the boys back from karate (Owen went along for the ride) and OMG! There it was! Big and huge and yellow and just perfect. I left Owen screaming for me, but safe in dh's arms, grabbed the camera and rushed back to the beach. However, I don't yet know enough about this photography business and was not able to get a good shot. It was so nice, though, the moon showing through the clouds in bits and pieces, the reflection on the water, and the moon occasionally coming out of the clouds completely. But it was still low and dark in its immense golden glow and I couldn't figure out the right settings.

So I came home, cuddled Owen, and after he went to sleep I went out in the back yard and took this one. Hopefully by next month I'll have learned how to capture a moonrise.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Great photos!

Jenni Renee said...

I agree. Both photos are amazing!

squirrelgirl said...

We've had some beautiful moon viewings over here on this side of the state, too. But I'm not as good a photographer as you are, and I got nothing - nada - zip - zilch. So it's nice to see your post.

Post a Comment