Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 21

Well today I've been all excited with the prospect of actually focusing on photography and learning how to use this camera. Never mind that I've had it for 5 years and have abused the crap out of it. I'm finally learning! And I will probably end up with a new camera in the not too distant future *dancing a happy jig* Just in case #2 is reading this, I KNOW A NEW CAMERA AND/OR LENS WON'T MAKE ME TAKE BETTER PHOTOS!! But it's exciting to think that I may be able to take better pics before too much longer. Thinking of getting a new toy/gadget/gizmo is helping me focus on being able to USE a new gizmo to its full potential. Ok, maybe not full, but definitely better than I've used this poor thing.

Last night I spent a while trying to decipher how to get the RAW images off my camera, first time I ever even shot in RAW format. Apparently your options for adjusting are much greater if you save the RAW file instead of a compressed JPG. Makes sense, I just never spent much time thinking of it before. I tend to have a lot of problems with white balance, but according to the manual, having a RAW image to correct is much better than trying to correct a JPG. So RAW it is. At least for now.

This image I took after playing with the aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. And white balance LOL. This isnt' adjusted other than resizing and converting from RAW. I read a long time ago that resized images need sharpening, but I spent so long figuring out why I couldn't save it as a jpg for posting purposes (I had to change it from 16 bit color) that once I got it saved, I was too done with it to attempt anything else LOL. Voila, another toy. The image is slightly distorted b/c I was so close, to achieve a 3.5 aperture setting. I need to read up on lenses and how to avoid this situation.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I have no idea what you're talking about LoL
You're very good to write so much every time!

The security words for posting comments are cracking my up, I just got "heribut" ROFL

Unknown said...

You know me, always trying to show off ;) and pretend I know a lot about something LOL. Actually, it looks to me like the blue wires are more in focus, even the back one, which is odd b/c I used the front red bead as my focal point.

Unknown said...

Great Post.. and when you get a new Camera let me know because I will buy your old one. I'm still using the 100 dollar digitals with all auto settings and would love to shoot it RAW and learn about it but I'm not financially ready for a new one. I know we are strangers and everything but my money is good.

JS

Post a Comment