Thursday, January 22, 2009

It ain't easy

Taking nice photos, that is. Which is why I will scrape up a couple hundred bucks for #2 when I get the chance, and take him food now and then, hoping he'll pity me. So far the food hasn't worked :( He really is a good photographer, he has an eye, a vision that I don't think I'll ever have. It must be instinctual. But I can still improve on what I DO have, and that's what I'm working for.

I have taken so many photos with this camera, knowing what a few adjustments may do, but not paying attention to the digital readout that shows in the viewfinder. I always thought I'd have time for that later LMAO. Well, later is HERE, dammit, and I'm trying to figure it out.

I did some shots today in TV mode, I frequently use AV mode (aperture) so I don't even know what TV mode is, but I was trying to pay attention to the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture. I need to look up TV mode b/c even though I think I knew what was going on with the above three variables, the images looked different when I switched modes. This boy of mine NEVER stops moving, unless he's asleep, so it's hard as heck to get a good shot of him. This is a little blurry.













I had the ISO set to 800 and it came out a bit grainy, not surprising. Too much contrast with the lighting as well, a window was offset on the right, as you can see. I took a lot of pics from this spot, but this was the least blurry.

Later, during his bath, I though we had a good opportunity for a different set of photos. I lowered the ISO to 400, but they were still grainy. And even though I changed the white balance to tungsten lighting, the images were yellow. These are touched up and resized, but I bet you can still see the noise/distortion/graininess.













During the course of the bath, he was having a great time pouring water out of the Friday's cup (they make great bath toys, don't throw them out!). Until he filled it up and threw it OUT of the tub. Water everywhere, almost on the camera. Bye-bye, Friday's cup.

The second pic is funny b/c he loves to play 'asleep' which we do by lying our heads down, closing our eyes and fake snoring. He has started doing this which cracks us all up, as he's walking around, tilting his head to his shoulder and starts 'snoring'. Well, he decided to try it in the bathtub. He would lay his head down in the water sideways, 'snore' and jump up with water pouring half across his face. He did eventually get a nose full of water and that was the end of the game. But it was fun to watch up to that point LMAO.

And finally, moi. Self portrait. You never know how you look until you see photos of yourself, right? I will confess, I turned around backwards and snapped a mirror shot of myself b/c I always wonder how I look from the back. But I'll save you all the visual ;)

2 comments:

Kathy said...

What do you mean when you talk about it being easier to adjust a photo in RAW format? Do you mean adjusting it with photo editing software?

According to the user's manual that I just printed off (all 172 pages!) Tv is shutter-priority AE. In this mode you set the shutter speed and the camera automatically sets the aperature value to suit the subject's brightness. This is called shutter-priority AE. A fast shutter speed can freeze the motions of a fast-moving subject, and a slow shutter speed can blur the subject to give the impression of motion. Tv stands for time value.

Unknown said...

Kathy, answer your phone ;)

Post a Comment