Saturday, January 23, 2010

Trying to edumacate myself

Been doing some little bit of research online and talking with my ever patient photographer friend (Thanks, #2!) and I am pretty sure that the thing which I love the most is the thing which is frustrating me the most.  Is that not always true of love?  Anyway, I LOVE having a shallow depth of field in my photos.  Ultra blurry backgrounds, I'm all over that.  Which means I love having a wide aperture on my lens and opening it allllll the way up, baby.  But I haven't been thrilled with the clarity of most images.

APPARENTLY having your aperture open like that can result in 'soft' images.  I think I do ok if I'm up close to an object, but taking just a few steps back I lose crispness and I see graininess in the full size images.  So today (Jan. 22) I did a quickie comparison shot.  Both on my 50mm lens, one at f/2.0, 1/100sec (top photo) and the other at f/4.5, 1/60sec.  What I'm most impressed by is the fact that I took a moment to make these changes and Zach looks like he didn't even breathe LOL.  I can clearly see a difference.  These are untouched, full size jpg's that I've cropped from the original RAW files.  Even with the smaller images here I can see that the f/4.5 is sharper than my beloved f/2.0.



Photobucket

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Ooh, I know what you mean! My biggest peeve about my photos is often the softness. I use pretty inexpensive lenses, so I always figured that was the biggest culprit.

Unknown said...

Yeah, that's my cheapie lens (Canon 50mm/1.8, I think I got it for 80.00) BUT I have gotten some nicer shots on it. I just couldn't figure out why some were nice, some were not. Now I'll be paying attention to aperture vs. distance and see which is the bigger culprit.

Post a Comment