Sunday, January 3, 2010

January 3rd

Well, it's a little late for the holidays, but we're still on break, technically, right? I finally got around to making the marshmallows I've been wanting to do. I did this a few years ago, the last activity that made me realize I NEEDED a KitchenAid stand mixer, because let me tell you...15 minutes of beating that mixture with a hand mixer is pain no matter how great your hands may be.

Anyway, I got the recipe and assembled the ingredients, started the sugar mixture cooking and prepped everything else. Just when it started to almost bubble, I opened the drawer for my candy thermometer. Grabbed it out and thought WTF? It was full of WATER! And there was stuff floating in it. Someone either immersed it in the sink OR put it in the dishwasher (which is what someone said he thinks happened.) Either way, I wasn't able to use it. I was about to panic then realized I have an instant read thermometer so I would try that.

It apparently isn't very accurate. The marshmallows aren't quite setting up. Oh well, they still melt really well in a cup of hot chocolate! And that's really the whole point, isn't it? Just have to scoop some up first :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment