Saturday, August 7, 2010

We bought a cow!

Well, half a cow.  And before you get that gory picture in your mind, it wasn't half of a full standing cow.  It was the meat from half a butchered cow.  A GRASS FED cow!  I've been doing research on the health benefits and from what I can tell, the meat that comes from a cow eating as nature intended is a lot better for us than the meat from a feed lot cow.  And buying it in bulk saves a LOT of money since grass fed ground beef alone runs about 8.00/lb.

Since I have the advantage of typing this about 2 months after the fact, I'll give a little review.  I LOVE the meat.  The flavor is crazy incredible.  It tastes like I've added seasonings or bouillon or something.  I don't, however, have the best methods of cooking it figured out.  It is tougher (steaks and roasts) than regular store-bought beef.  Not hard to handle if you crock-pot it or braise it.  But for a nice rare steak, well the T-bones I cooked still took a bit of chewing and they were pretty bloody.  The tenderloins were nice, though *drool*  The one thing I don't like is the fat content.  It's supposedly leaner meat, but this beef definitely had some padding.  The fats are where the benefits are (more omega-3's) but still, fat is fat and too much isn't good for you.  I find myself trimming a good chunk off most cuts to remove the clumps of fat, and skimming the surface of the crock pot liquid to remove more.  Just more work, basically.  But it sure is tasty!

Anyone local who might be interested, we bought from Deep Roots Meat and they are at the Brevard Farmer's Market at Wickham Park on Thursday afternoons.  Swing by and buy something to get a taste of the goodness!


Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment