Friday, June 4, 2010

Back to Mother's Day...

I think it was on Mother's Day that this particular session of blogger procrastination began.  Of course, I have gone way beyond the scope of procrastination, I'm pretty sure a new word should be created to encompass the magnitude of putting-off that I have accomplished.  Probethination?  Procrastibethan?  Bethasstination?  Hmmm.  Not sure if those work very well.

On Mother's Day, I was having a nice ho-hum day, Kev was working and the boys were driving me crazy and we had no big plans. I just wanted a lazy day.  Then my brother called,  he had some issues going on and needed to vent and wanted to spare our mother since it was Mother's Day.  He has schizophrenia and the fact that he was able to see and empathize with how his actions might affect others and act accordingly made my heart melt.  He's really had a tough go of things, but so have many of my siblings.  I can't believe my heart is still functional, it's puddled around my feet so many times.

Then later my mom called.  I saw the caller ID and thought she'd heard from my aforementioned brother.  But instead, she was frantic and crying and breathless saying she was in the ER with Danny, her husband, and his heart had stopped and they were shocking him.  My heart about stopped at that point.  Danny had just had a questionable epsisode a week or 2 prior and was waiting on follow-up testing, but now there was no question.  He was having a heart attack.  I got to speak with the nurse who explained that he kept going into V-fib but once shocked, he was returning to a normal sinus rhythm, which was good news.  The bad news was that it wouldn't last, he'd return to V-fib and need shocked again.

So Mother's Day spiraled down into a flurry of phone calls while I tried to notify family members and do what I could to help my mom (which was basically trying to explain medical jargon), while crossing my fingers and praying that Danny would be ok.  Being in FL with them up in KY really ties my hands, not that being there would really have changed things much.  Miraculously, the long story short is that he came out of it with no major damage.  They air-lifted him to a larger hospital (after giving him a clot-dissolving medication) where the doctor was able to take him directly into the cath lab and insert a stent into the closed vessel.  He was home a few days later.

Thus I missed posting that day, which then rolled into the next and the next and voila!  It's almost a month later.

In the interim, I've been trying to make healthy 'yotes'.  That's what Owen calls yogurt, although he is getting more adept at saying the actual word :(  Fresh berries, mangoes, whatever I can throw together in the blender with some organic yogurt.  It's usually so thick that we have to water it down with milk, and I'm having issues with getting it through his sippy cup.  But we're working on it.

Photobucket

0 comments:

Post a Comment